Our new look logo, embraces the “Past” and the “Present”

The Past Player and Supporters are sporting a brand new logo!

warl-pps-swan-and-shield-logo1.jpg

Our new logo represents and embraces all of the tradition and core elements of the re-union day concept, combined with the current presence of WARL.

Our new logo is made up of three parts

  1. The Swan –  As the traditional symbol of the WARL Past Players & Supporters adopted at inception of the Re-union day nearly 18 years ago
  2. The shield of the WARL – For the first time and thanks to WARL CEO, John Sackson, we are thankful and proud of the support being shown to the re-union day by the current WARL team.
  3. The “Hall of Fame” – is one of the major events held at each years re-union day and the Past Players committee is proud to announce and honour these legends of Rugby League in WA.

With these three elements combined within the logo, the concept is – The WARL Past Players and Supporters represented by the Swan, is proudly embracing WA Rugby League and the “Hall of Fame”.

We hope you like the new look and would love to hear your feedback, so please leave a comment either on our Home page or on our Facebook page.

A BIG Thanks to Steve and Kim Silvi of World Wide Online Printing in Gosnells for the donation of their graphic designers time in doing this logo. They are great supporters of the Past Players & Supporters Re-Union day and the WA Men of League, so if you or anyone you know needs any type of printing or signage done, Steve or Kim would be only too happy to assist. They can be contacted on 08 9394 0944 or gosnells@worldwide.com.au

A trip down the WARL memory lane 1948 – 1989. Part 1 of 2

This Excerpt is from the WARL Website. for full History visit http://warugbyleague.com.au/our-history/

1948

  • The Western Australian Amateur Rugby League was formed. Jim Burns was elected President, Gordon Squires Chairman and Roy Williams Secretary.
  • Rugby League competition was formed with four Clubs involved were Fremantle, Perth, South Perth and Cottesloe. The first match was played on the 17th April at Perth Esplanade between Fremantle Districts and Perth Districts. Fremantle Rugby League Club and South Perth Rugby League Club were formed.
  • Fremantle Districts – Fullback: J McGuiness, Wings: F Johnson & B Brown, Centres: J Whitley & T Sullivan, Five Eight: J Sweet, Halfback: J Cousins, Lock: G Washington, Second Row: D Tonkin & R Owen, Front Row: A Matheson & A Webster, Hooker: K Allen.
  • Perth Districts – Fullback: J Williams, Wings: A Gleaves & D Cort, Centres: S Cohen & J Carrol, Five Eight: Bob Chester, Halfback: R Moore, Lock: E Warner, Second Row: F Mike & B Wells, Front Row: R Lees & D Fogarty, Hooker: G Dixon.
  • Five Clubs played Rugby League in the initial year – Perth, South Perth, Applecross, Fremantle & Cottesloe. 1st Grade: 4 teams, Premier Grade: 4 teams, Thirds: 7 teams

1949

  • Canning Bulldogs & Victoria Park were formed.
  • Junior Rugby League’s first game was played at Peet Park between Applecross and Eastern Suburbs on the 28th May, 1949. The result was 3 all draw.

1950

  • The first international was staged in Perth when Great Britain stopped over on the way to Sydney.

1951

  • North Beach club was formed. The French came over to play.

1953

  • 62 juniors teams competed in the 1953 Junior Carnival, including teams from the mid week Catholic College Competition.
  • Rugby Union clubs Palmyra and Nedlands changes codes to Rugby League.
  • A second division competition was formed comprising of teams from Southern Districts, Mt. Pleasant, Balmoral, Canning Districts, Northern Suburbs, Midland, Hellenic, Azzurri and North Beach.
  • Due to the lack of enclosed grounds for the finals, the WARL acquired their own ground, Higham Park. Higham Park was the rear section of the Claremont Showgrounds.

1954

  • Plans were approved to build a stadium at the Junction of Stoneham Street and Great Eastern Highway, Belmont. The initial costs for earthworks, drainage, change rooms, turnstiles, fencing etc was twenty five thousand pounds.

1955

  • League headquarters at Belmont Oval was officially opened by the Australian Rugby League President, Jersey Flegge on the 15th of May 1955. The game played that day was Western Australian versus France.
  • A second game was held against the French.

1956

  • NT came and played three games against WA, WA won two out of three games.

1957

  • Great Britain played another game in Perth against WA and won 66-5 at the WACA.

1962

  • Great Britain played in Perth.

1964

  • A first grade Sydney side, Manly-Warringah traveled west to play. On Friday, 21st August 1964 the French Rugby League touring team visited Western Australia for the third time. The Junior League consisted of 10 clubs (23 teams). Which were picked from approx. 500 boys ranging from the Under 16′s to the midgets. The Clovelly Junior Rugby League touring party arrived in W.A. for 11 days and played three games against W.A. Juniors.

1969

  • Darwin invited WA to play against them in Darwin to celebrate their 100th Anniversary, WA won 23-19.

1971

  • Pilbara Rugby League is formed

1972

  • Goldfields Rugby League is formed

1975

  • WA Played England.
  • After 20 years Belmont Oval lease was terminated with a cash settlement being received.

1977

  • The W.A.R.L moved into the new three million dollar Canning Central complex. The three round qualifying series was replaced by a two round competition. First Grade moved up to ten teams with the new coming of Nollamara/Balga and Wanneroo. W.A was introduced into the nationwide Amco Cup and W.A. State Team defeated Northern Territory by 23 to 18. Newman’s Stirling Committee was organised. West Pilbara and Goldfields have teams.

1978

  • Newman representative team traveled to Perth.

1979

  • Newman’s first inter-town match was played between Newman and Port Hedland.

1980

  • Newman Representative side plays a combined Goldfields Association team.
  • Full time administrator appointed and new registered office in Hay Street, Perth.

1981

  • Joint premiership declared between Fremantle and Mosman Cottesloe for the Grand Final, scores locked at 28-all at full-time and an extra 20 minutes of extra time failed to separate the sides. With players constantly going down with cramp in the intense heat, both captains refused to play a further five minutes of extra time and the League was unable to schedule a replay.

1983

  • Northern Territory came down to play WA for the Crestwood Inntown Hotel Interstate Challenge.

1985

  • Northern Territories and Goldfields traveled to Perth to play.

1986

  • Belmont Steelers were formed when Belmont and Bayswater Kiwis combined and are the first privately owned Rugby League Club in WA. Perth City played against Tweed Heads Seagulls. Newman won the Emu Export Pilbara Championship against Port Hedland. The national Under 15′s carnival is held at Ken Allen Field.

1988

  • The South Coast Raiders entered the competition.

1989

  • Armadale Rugby League Club was added. Each Club was requested to supply a Development Officer to promote and encourage Junior Players. Laurie Ord was presented the Ron Hudson Medal for his contribution to Rugby League. Canterbury-Bankstown and Canberra Rugby League came to Perth. Balmain played Parramatta at the WACA for the Panasonic Cup.

WA Men of League Annual Golf Day

The WA Men of League are holding their annual golf day on Friday 4th April 2014 at Hartfield Country Club, Forrestfield.

It is a Great day and all proceeds go to the Men of League Foundation.

Men of League Golf Day 2014

This is a great cause and one that we, as part of the Rugby League community, should get behind and support.

For more details, ring James “Sully” Sullivan – 0414 733 083